Sunday 3 May 2015

Expecting Mother's Perspective


http://www.unhcr.org/thumb1/49c3c7ad7.jpg
Woman getting water for her family (link to photo source embedded)
Expecting Mother
Hello I am Baba. I am 34 years old I have two children and I’m pregnant with my third child. I live in a small village in Ghana with my children and my husband.
I have one girl and one boy they are 14 and 16 respectively. They both go to the local school to learn how to write and how to add up which makes me happy. I didn’t get the chance when I was younger as I had to go collect water and look after my family as my mother died in childbirth with my younger sister. They said it was because she was very weak she hadn’t been very well for a while having stomach pains and feeling sick they thought it could’ve been to do with the pregnancy but she also had a really high fever most of the time so it was likely something she had caught from the water. Despite this suspicion I have no option but to use the same watering hole as she did when I was younger because there is simply no other water supply in the area for me to use to provide for my family, it is scary that there could be something harmful hiding in each sip of the water. We just have to hope, it makes you feel very helpless.

Well I said I was the one providing the water for my family it will no longer be me making the long journey to get it soon it’s becoming too hard to walk along the rough ground up and down hills with being so pregnant. My eldest daughter is going to have to take the burden which makes me very sad as she was doing so well in school and had hopes for the future escaping our little village. I’m worried that when she starts helping on a morning that she will be too tired for school, that’s if she makes it in time at all. I don't think she will be the big business woman she could have been spending all this time providing water for the family.  There is simply no other option though….

No comments:

Post a Comment